Finished Object: Seahorse Cardigan
After a lot of research on Mary Maxim, I dove in and got a number of their vintage patterns, including the seahorse cardigan! Using Paton’s Classic Wool Merino, I did a gauge swatch using Jade Hather (77208) for the body, Natural (00229) for the upper background, and Paprika (00238) for the seahorses and accent lines, I cast on in July, 2008!
Fast forward to late September, 2009... I finished the chart of one of the sleeves, going back and forth between whether it was all intarsia or if I could "fake" fair isle some of the patterning. I wasn't sure, so I put it away for a while. In mid October of 2010 (yes, a YEAR later) I picked it back up and took the sleeve with me to San Francisco and finished it on the 200 mile drive north to Weott for the Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon. That sleeve was finished, and I was able to start the back on that trip!
The back was finished in early January, 2011, and a week or two later, I finished the second sleeve. Because all this intarsia and graph based knitting isn't torture enough, I decided to cast on the two fronts at the same time.
At this point I was really wanting to get the sweater completed in time for Stitches - and on January 13, 2011, it was finally completed! I assembled the sweater and found the perfect buttons to complete the piece. All but one button came from Britex in downtown San Francisco. The antique seahorse button I used is from “Granny’s Thimble” - a pretty fun source for buttons! Check her out: www.grannysthimble.etsy.com
As soon as the weather cooperates I'll get photos of me wearing the cardigan --
I'm now tackling another Mary Maxim pattern... the buffalo sweater!! (and I promise myself that I will not procrastinate as much this time!!) Stay tuned!