Finished Object: Pacific Vest
Where was it in the making that I realized this vest was not going to fit me? Honestly, probably about 2" into the pattern. It was too small. By a longshot. I kept trudging along, though... mezmerized by the patterning and thinking, "it's ok; it'll block out".
Seriously. I was finishing up one of the intarsia horse heads as I finally came to my senses; this wasn't going to fit. No matter how much I wanted this gauge with this yarn, if I finish it, it'll be beautiful and too small... so if I really want to wear this horse vest, then I must rip. it. out.
So, I did.
Then, the next day, I started swatching again. I found that I really needed to be on US 5 needles (yes, 3 sizes up!) It was going to work this time, and started to re-knit the vest from the beginning.
Do I feel bad about ripping out all that work? Not really. It was frustrating, but in reality, exercises like this are helpful. Working a "large" swatch (i.e. the front of the vest!) helps me to study and understand the pattern. In this case it also helped me figure out the quirks of the vintage pattern so that when it was time to do it over, I knew what I wanted to change.
The thing about a vintage pattern is that the wording is different than in more modern patterns. Sometimes, working through one feels a bit like decoding a word problem! The details can be different too, like the ribbing length at the bottom of this vest. I actually like it - it's fun and true to the design and its era.
I have worn this vest a few times now... to work, and around town. Not one person has asked me if I knit it. I don't know if that's a compliment or not! I LOVE my horse vest and look forward to casting on for my next project!
For those on Ravelry, here is the LINK to this project's page.