Imagine my joy when a few weeks later a package with a few skeins of this fun stuff arrived in my mailbox. "Have fun!" said the note from Maggie.
I knew immediately what I wanted to do with this yarn.
Once the project moved forward I ended up using a brown thread instead of this one...
I also bought a bit of iron on stabilizer and some spray adhesive as options for temporarily securing the bits of silk until they were sewn.
This was also the time that little magic glittery bits of fabric appeared. Embroidered pieces with gold thread, little flowers... They were scarce but in the end just enough difference to add a bit more interest to the project.
This project only uses some of each skein of ribbon yarn. There's enough left over to make LOTS more pillows!
Starting with the back, I sprayed one of the pieces with a light coat of adhesive (meant for fabric) and then pinned it in place on my blocking board. I laid out the strips of silk so that they covered the backing fabric (which means some of the pieces overlapped a bit). Then, I trimmed the ends of silk that were hanging off the ends of the backing.
Truth is, I did a sample swatch first - using some of the silk and backing fabric set up the same was as the pillow pieces, I tried out a bunch of different stitch patterns to determine which one I liked the best. I settled on a big zig-zag stitch for this pillow because it worked well to catch the little rough silk edges and strings, and it made a fun pattern across the strips.
The only other change I made is using bias tape on the ends of the flaps of my pillow instead of doing turned hems. I like the bulk of the tape and think the contrasting material and color is fun.