The moment I saw this pattern I knew I HAD to make it. It is vintage and kitchy and fun and I wanted to own one that was as close to the original as possible. The first decision was what yarn to use. I selected Knit Picks Palette because it's priced well, comes in a ton of colors, is a decent fiber and was about the right weight.
I received the yarn as a gift during the holidays last year and immediately cast on. Here's where I note that not only is swatching important, but paying close *honest* attention to the swatch measurements is also important. I cast on, found my "home" with US 2 needles, and started knitting a lovely, lovely vest with gorgeous, tight stitching.
Seriously. I was finishing up one of the intarsia horse heads as I finally came to my senses; this wasn't going to fit. No matter how much I wanted this gauge with this yarn, if I finish it, it'll be beautiful and too small... so if I really want to wear this horse vest, then I must rip. it. out.
So, I did.
Then, the next day, I started swatching again. I found that I really needed to be on US 5 needles (yes, 3 sizes up!) It was going to work this time, and started to re-knit the vest from the beginning.
I have worn this vest a few times now... to work, and around town. Not one person has asked me if I knit it. I don't know if that's a compliment or not! I LOVE my horse vest and look forward to casting on for my next project!
For those on Ravelry, here is the LINK to this project's page.